It’s here! The Melbourne Writers Festival teams up with GDS to present the long-awaited #32 launch extravaganza. Think launches are boring? This will leave ‘em for dead.
- TWO new spoken word commissions on their world premiere. One from the country’s hottest rapper of the moment, Mantra. One from the ever-brilliant actor, playwright, and storyteller Felix Nobis.
- THREE touring slam poets from New York’s Nuyorican Poetry Café: Jive Poetic, Mahogany L. Browne, and US National Poetry Slam champ Ken Arkind. These guys are blazing.
- ONE reading from savagely funny actor/writer Zoe Norton Lodge.
Hosted by GDS editor Geoff Lemon, with tunes on the decks from A.N.D. (Good Buddha) and Lazer Ferrari (True Live), in the classy confines of The Toff in Town. Dress like you mean it.
For just the price of entry (yep) you get:
- Full print anthology with a form-cut, hand-lettered cover, containing 37 stories, drawings, comics, poems, from the US, Bulgaria, Lithuania, New Zealand, and all around Australia, in a book pretty enough to leave on the coffee table.
- 14-track CD printed with original artwork, featuring storytellers and spoken word from the world over.
- Celestial Taxi, our commissioned writer/illustrator collaboration between Leanne Hall and Dylan Martorell, presented as a full-colour flipbook insert that folds out into a poster.
- The aforementioned kick-arse night of entertainment.
- Work from Neil Gaiman, Joelistics, Leanne Hall, Dylan Martorell, Pat Grant, Rebecca Giggs, Alex Skovron, Ruby Murray, Eleanor Jackson, Benezra, Fiona Wright, Anthony O’Sullivan, Sean M. Whelan, Briohny Doyle, Graham Nunn…
All those things… for less than it will cost to buy GDS #32 in shops. Sometimes a special price just for you really is a special price just for you.
Tickets on the MWF website are already listed as ‘Selling Fast’, so get on it now to avoid missing out.
Doors at 7:30. Show starts at 8:00.