Submissions for Going Down Swinging No.35 are now open.
Going Down Swinging No. 35 will involve a print anthology and audio CD package by Melbourne designers Santangelo + Hall, due for release in late 2013.
We are accepting submissions from artists worldwide until June 25.
Print submissions could include non-fiction and essay, fiction, poetry, flash, comics or visual art. The edition will most likely be printed in black and white. Audio recordings could include spoken word, storytelling, lectures and addresses, poetry, music, interviews, or sound art. We’re open to any ideas, so if you have something that doesn’t fit these categories, let us know.
If we held your submission over from our No. 34 submission call late last year, it will be considered during this selection round.
HOW TO GET PUBLISHED
- Read Going Down Swinging. Most of what we publish comes from readers, because they understand the kind of work we like, and the kind of work that suits our aims. Grab a copy and read it, then submit. You’ll probably have fun.
- Our current print issue, No. 33, can be found here, along with older issues. Our new digital edition, No. 34, is low-cost, and access details can be emailed to you the same day.
- Do not send short stories that turn out to be all a dream.
- Do not send short stories where the only climax is the grisly death of the protagonist / the protagonist’s pet.
- Do not send poems involving birds, wings, feathers or flight.
- We are especially interested in receiving more essays and creative non-fiction.
SUBMISSIONS CLOSE 25 JUNE 2013, MIDNIGHT AEST
- Submissions that do not follow these guidelines cannot be accepted or responded to.
- All submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Postal submissions cannot be accepted.
- Send questions to email@example.com, not the submissions address.
- You may send one of the following combinations:
- two stories / essays
- three poems / images / audio tracks
- two stories / essays and one poem / image / audio track
- one story / essay and two poems / images / audio tracks
- Submissions beyond these limits cannot be considered.
- For filing purposes, submissions MUST order their subject line as follows: the categories of work you are submitting, the number of pieces, and your publication name. Categories are non-fiction, fiction, poetry, image, audio. Your subject line might read: “Fiction (2), image (1). Arty McArtface.”
- All submissions must include the GDS cover sheet attached to your email. Click here to download.
- Each piece submitted must be a separate attachment. Written work should be in .doc or .docx format, 12-point font, lines spaced at 1.5 or 2.
- Audio submissions do not have to be broadcast quality, or include sound production. We can assist you in a proper record/edit of your work should your submission be successful.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, just let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere. Previously published work is negotiable. Drop us a line.
- We have no restrictions on form, length, or genre, as long as the work is first-rate. Don’t send your middle range.
- Contributors are paid whenever possible, in Australian dollars and a copy of the journal. Rates are nominal and dependent on funding.
- Submissions close strictly and finally on 25 June, at midnight AEST.
Not sure what to submit?
Check out our previous editions – including new digital edition No. 34…