Submissions for Going Down Swinging No.35 are currently closed.
Going Down Swinging No. 35 is now available online and in bookshops. Submissions for future Going Down Swinging editions will most likely open in 2014, with dates yet to be confirmed. To get notified, sign up for our newsletter using the column on the right, or follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
In the meantime, it’s a good chance to read or subscribe to GDS. Most of what we publish comes from readers, because they understand the work we like and that suits what we do. Read a copy, then submit. You’ll probably have fun.
Our current print issues are No. 35 and No. 33 - click the links. Our digital editions are is low-cost and access details can be emailed to you the same day: No. 34 and No. 31. You can also look back through our older issues.
HOW TO GET PUBLISHED
- Read Going Down Swinging. Most of what we publish comes from readers, because they understand the work we like and that suits what we do. Read a copy, then submit. You’ll probably have fun.
- Our current print issues are No. 35 and No. 33 – click the links. Our digital editions are low-cost and access details can be emailed to you the same day: No. 34 and No. 31. You can also look back through our older issues.
- Do not send short stories that turn out to be all a dream.
- Do not send short stories where the climax depends solely on a grisly death.
- Do not send poems involving birds, wings, feathers or flight.
- We are especially interested in receiving more essays and creative non-fiction.
SUBMISSIONS CLOSE 25 JUNE 2013, MIDNIGHT AEST
- Submissions that do not follow these guidelines cannot be accepted or responded to.
- All submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Postal submissions cannot be accepted.
- Send questions to email@example.com, not the submissions address.
- You may send one of the following combinations:
- two stories / essays
- three poems / images / audio tracks
- two stories / essays and one poem / image / audio track
- one story / essay and two poems / images / audio tracks
- Submissions beyond these limits cannot be considered.
- For filing purposes, submissions MUST order their subject line as follows: the categories of work you are submitting, the number of pieces, and your publication name. Categories are non-fiction, fiction, poetry, image, audio. Your subject line might read: “Fiction (2), image (1). Arty McArtface.”
- All submissions must include the GDS cover sheet attached to your email. Click here to download.
- Each piece submitted must be a separate attachment. Written work should be in .doc or .docx format, 12-point font, lines spaced at 1.5 or 2.
- Audio submissions do not have to be broadcast quality, or include sound production. We can assist you in a proper record/edit of your work should your submission be successful.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, just let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere. Previously published work is negotiable. Drop us a line.
- We have no restrictions on form, length, or genre, as long as the work is first-rate. Don’t send your middle range.
- Contributors are paid whenever possible, in Australian dollars and a copy of the journal. Rates are nominal and dependent on funding.
- Submissions close strictly and finally on 25 June, at midnight AEST.
Not sure what to submit?
Check out our previous editions – including new digital edition No. 34…