We want your best genre writing for our next print production, due for release late 2018.
Our 39th edition will celebrate the best genre writing in Australia and beyond. We want it all: YA fic, romance, necromantic devotional poetry, spoken word, comics, fan fiction, scripts, confessional journalism, spec fic, apocryphal hagiographies, crime, plays, copywriting, comedy, adventure stories, food writing, the list goes on.
Not a genre writer? Send in your words anyway. Who knows what shape this book will take? It’s all part of the fun.
Before submitting, please read the below submission guidelines… then read them again. It may seem picky, but given the volume of submissions (and the fact we have day jobs), this saves us many wasted hours.
Types of work
- All genres and all forms, including fiction, non-fiction, poetry, comics, plays, visual art, creative collabs and spoken word. If we like it, we’ll find a way to publish it.
- Prose pieces under 5,000 words are ideal, but we’ll read anything up to 10,000 words; similarly, poems up to 100 lines in length.
- You can submit up to two pieces of work across all categories, whether that’s prose, poetry, visual art or spoken word.
- Audio recordings, which may include spoken word, storytelling or poetry. We’re open to ideas.
Formatting your work
- For written pieces, please use the .doc or .docx format, 12-point font and lines spaced at least 1.5 times.
- Visual art submissions can include specific works, or links to your online folio.
- The edition will most likely be printed in an A5 format, with an accompanying digital component.
- Audio submissions don’t have to be broadcast quality, or include sound production. Just record your poem or story on a computer, a mobile, or a dictaphone, and send us an mp3. We’ll decide what to re-record later.
Other things to note
- We’re accepting submissions from writers and artists worldwide until 5pm AEST Monday July 23, 2018.
- We aim to get back to everyone who submits by September 17.
- Simultaneous submissions aren’t a problem – just let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere. Please note we don’t republish work that exists elsewhere.
- We pay the writers and artists we publish. Payment is usually between $100-$250 depending on form, length and the overall number of pieces we publish. Amounts are subject to funding and will not make much of a dent in your personal debt.
To see what we’ve produced in recent times, consider purchasing a previous edition of Going Down Swinging. It’s good for you. It’s good for us.
If you have any questions regarding submissions or this edition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.